Sunday, March 29, 2009

week 12/chapter 9

1. Chapter 9's topics of language comprehension ties into a lot of information from earlier chapters because in order to understand language, we must recognize words and sounds (Chapter 2). Our working memory allows us to process the information that we are receiving and then determine if it needs to be placed in the long term memory. The information we store in our long term memory can show up again in conversation as background or previous knowledge.

2. The whole-word approach does not make complete sense to me. I understand that we can recognize a whole word when we are reading, but it usually is a word we already know. If we come across a word that we haven't seen, who do we learn it if we don't sound it out? I'm not sure how the whole-word approach can be an appropriate method for teaching students to read for the first time.

3. The information on comprehension is very helpful because it allows me to understand what issue may arise in conversation. I can apply this to my work as a counselor by changing the way I phrase sentences or present information to a student. Also, I can make sure the student understands what I am saying before they leave my office. That way, I'm not sending them on with incorrect information. I also like the idea of dual-route hypothesis, which I can use now as a teachers assistant. I can help students with poor reading skills to either recognize words they previously learned with direct-access or use indirect-access to help them translate words through sounds.

4 comments:

  1. I agree that the whole word approach can be difficult. In kindergarten, we use both the indirect and direct approach to reading. As our students master the alphabet code, they begin to blend sounds together to form words. However, it is no secret that a great deal of the English language does not follow the traditional rules. Sounding it out simply won't work. I use the whole word approach for many of these words. For example, "who and one" are high frequency words that cannot be sounded out. I teach my children these words through a repetition and context activities. My students need to know these words for successful reading, and they must be able to know them without sounding them out. I do try to make little games for the chidlren to remember some of the words. I am always surprised how many of my students recall these "rule-breaker" words when I assess them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carlie,
    After reading the article that I chose from the instructor's question, I believe that both the phonics approach and the whole word approach are needed. I think that students probably need to start with the phonics approach first and then with mastery, they can use the whole word approach. We use the whole word approach as we read. I couldn't imagine having to sound out the word each time. It would take forever to read a book and the comprehension would be lost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, I was more of a whole word reader when I was little. Phonics never made sense to me. I was the type of kid who only had to hear a word read once or twice and then I would remember it. I did not sound words out. When I became an elementary teacher, I had to teach myself phonics because I had never learned them or applied them. As an adult, coming across a new word, I do use phonics rules.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you on the whole word approach. I was struggling to understand how beginning readers were taught just by the whole word approach alone. I teach third grade and we still sound out words and practice phonics. Those words such as one, or though are words that we say belong in letter jail because they don't follow the rules of phonics, but I cant imagine a kindergarten or first grade teacher not focusing on phonics at all to teach reading. I dont know how it would be possible.

    ReplyDelete