Tuesday, March 3, 2009

week 8/chapter 8

1. Semantic memory is our general knowledge about the world. Three approaches to semantic memory focus on categorizing information into lists or into the categories that the new information best fits. The fourth approach focuses on information being placed into a web and then retrieved by triggers from other information. Scripts are a sequence of events that is associate with a common activity. This common activity's frequency allows it to become part of the memory.

2. We have learned about the parts of our memory, imagery, and recall. This information ties into how we remember information and how we store information. We are now learning how we store this information in categories to be more successful with remembering and recalling information.

3. I'm still a little unsure about schemas and inferences. I'm unsure how we can solve this problem or what we can do to prevent ourselves from drawing conclusions about information that may not have occurred.

4. In one of the discussion questions, I talked about how being able to access 10 nodes can be a problem for me because I am easily distracted or sidetracked. I need to keep this in mind because when I am presenting information, I need to stay focused on the information that is important. In the classroom, I let the students get me sidetracked and then I might get the teacher sidetracked. I need to work on not allowing this to happen and controlling the use of my memory web.

5. Again, the author provides many studies that help to make this information valid. I find that reading studies is not enough information on its own. The more important thing is being about to take that information and compare it with experiences we have had. As I said in #4, the network model is very clear to me because I often get side tracked from being able to store 10 nodes at one time. Providing these studies with examples that let us compare the information to our own memories and experiences is how this information becomes valid.

6. Again, this helps to prove that we do experience what the author is telling us. The approaches of semantic memory are a good example of using examples to show us the things that we are experiencing but may not realize.

7. When working with students, I think the semantic memory approaches will help to explain to them how they are categorizing information and why. Until now, I didn't realize their were ways to explain why I was categorizing information or how. Scripts can be used to teach younger students or students with disabilities how to complete sequenced tasks.

8. A better way to organize this information would be helpful. Their is so much information in this chapter and it is ironic that it is on memory because I have to keep going back to reread parts of it. I think that a chart discussing the similarities and differences of the approaches to semantic memory would be easy to create, but help to explain the information better.

4 comments:

  1. I'm still a little unsure about schemas and inferences. I'm unsure how we can solve this problem or what we can do to prevent ourselves from drawing conclusions about information that may not have occurred.

    I think we should try to connect the event or information with surrounding events or details as much as we can to prevent "false memory" that leads to final conclusion. you are right it is scary, it might make it difficult to trust yourself again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate for you on the 10 nodes being a problem! I tend to go from one thing to another and I can never sit down and finish one thing. I agree with you about staying focused, it is just so hard to do sometimes!~:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As Carlie and Liz had mentioned, I think that it is kind of a teacher personality to move from one item to another so quickly because as teachers we need to be aware of so many different things at the same time in our classroom. I also had a difficult time reading this chapter. A chart somewhere around the beginning of the chapter would have helped. I had to keep going back to read sections more than once to understand them. The leaders questions this week really helped me to organize the information though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that the best way to fix the schema interference and misconception. Although it is difficult to address multiple nodes, this is an ideal way to learn students schematic perceptions and correct any misconceptions. Although we not always stay on the topic we had planned, addressing schematic misconceptions can be just as important because it sets up the students for better understanding in the future.

    ReplyDelete