Sunday, April 19, 2009

How People Learn Chapters 9 & 10

1. The information on technology provided in Chapter 9 of How People Learn goes along with what we've learned about mental images to an extent. Images provided through technology can help with mental images created such as a propositional code. Technology can be used to help students who have a mental set to help them get out of the rut and get a new perspective on the topic they are learning. Finally, it relates to creativity and can help to be a motivation for students to do the work because sometimes the use of technology can make education fun for them. Overall, technology can help with creativity by providing new projects for students to try and for reinforcing information that the students are learning in a new and different way.

2. One thing I'd like to know more about is how teachers who are not technologically savvy can learn to use the technology that they need to teach their students or the technology their students already know about. I keep thinking to myself "what is twitter?" I want to know more about twitter. This type of thing is something the students may already know about before I even learn. Students know how to use computers so efficiently that some teachers may be behind.

3. To apply this to my own work as a school counselor someday, I would like to create a website that students can use to find out about college information or about trade schools. Then, I'd like to create a time line that they could use to know where they need to be at a certain point in the year with applying and financial aid. Also, I'd like to list resources that the students could use if they were experiencing problems at home or with their friends. There are many help lines that can benefit students that they do not even know about.

5 comments:

  1. I too think technology can serve as a motivation for many students. Many times it is the intrinsic motivation that my some of my students need. And what exactly is twitter? I have heard that word so many times lately. You mentioned teachers who are not savvy in this area needing help and I think that is very true. We will have a couple of half day workshops for things like this. Districts can offer many programs to the staff but if they will not commit to training them than it is usually a waste of money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that we need more time as teachers to get the professional development needed to implement technology. There are so many things out there but it seems like we are never given the time to find them. Also, we have had workshops on new technologies and then never have the time on the same day to explore and ask questions to the expert of the new technology. I think that if we were given some time to explore we may end up using it in the classroom. I think taking inservice time to explore would greatly benefit our students because they will need the technology as they enter the workforce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about students knowing a lot about technology. How is a teacher supposed to keep up? There are a couple of ways to do it. I personally just get on a the internet or a program and just play around on it until I get it. Another way, is I just flat out ask the kids how to use a program. They are always happy to show me and they make great teachers. I have learned a lot from students. I have also learned a lot by taking my masters classes. It seems that every teacher that I have had has made some technology demands in their assignments. I loved the bitstrips that we learned in this class. To keep up with technology is definitely a full time job because it is constantly changing. It just floored me when Mr. Martinez said that they told him at that one conference that email is your parents way of communication.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not sure what twittering is myself...I think it is obvious all the positives that technology has to offer to our learners. I am one teacher that would definitely need instruction. However the instruction would be more beneficial if I saw it in action with actual students...teachers using the technology with their students doing projects as described from this week's reading. I cannot just attend a workshop with technology and go back and use it in my classroom...I too need hands on experience just like the students benefit from hands on experience to help them understand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carlie,

    I too was wondering about suggestions for including learning about technology in the classroom--if I am not a tech-savvy teacher. At my school, they are called Technology Tuesdays. Our Computer Teachers teach application use after school to teachers interested. The problem that I see is: 1. Many older teachers are just reluctant to do it, 2. Most do not want to stay around(for whatever reasons) after school. 3. A lot of times, this information is taught by younger people and there is a reluctance to accept this new information from young people.

    Does anyone else see these trends?

    ReplyDelete